- Professor for Anthropology and Education
- Member of Interdisciplinary Centre for Historical Anthropology
- Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) “Cultures of Performance”
- Cluster of Excellence “Languages of Emotion”
- Graduate School “InterArts” at Freie Universität Berlin
- Vice-president of the German Commission for UNESCO
- Research stays and invited professorships among others at: Stanford, Tokio, Kioto, Beijing, Mysore (India), Paris, Modena, Amsterdam, Stockholm, London, Sankt Petersburg.
Main Areas of Research:
Historical and Cultural Anthropology, Educational Anthropology, Mimesis, Aesthetics, Rituals and Emotions
(His books have been translated into 15 languages)
- Together with Jacques Poulain, Fathi Triki (Eds.): Violence, religion et dialogue interculturel, Perspectives euroméditerranéennes. L’harmattan: 2010.
- Together with Zikun Zhang: From Guan Li to Eighteen-year-old Oath Ceremony. A Study of Chinese Initiation Rituals. Münster et al.: Waxmann, 2010
- Together with Shoko Suzuki: Takt in Modern Education. Münster et al.: Waxmann, 2010
- Eğitim Bilimi – Yorumsamacı Yöntem Görgül Araştırma Eleştirel Teori. Basım Tarihi: 2010.
- Together with Bernd Hüppauf (Ed.): Dynamics and Performativity of Imagination: The Image between the Visible and the Invisible. New York 2009
- Ritual in Education: Performance, Imitation and Cross Culture. Peking 2009
- Together with Tobias Werler (Eds.): Hidden Dimensions of Education. Rhetoric, Rituals and Anthropology. Münster et al.: Waxmann, 2006.
- Together with Yasuo Imai (Eds.): Concepts of Aesthetic Education. Japanese and European Perspectives. Münster et al.: Waxmann, 2007
- Together with Shoko Suzuki (Eds.): Mimesis, Poiesis, and Performativity in Education. Münster et al.: Waxmann, 2007